WeChat is a very popular messaging app, similar to WhatsApp, that you can use to text with people from around the world without paying any fees, using any sort of internet connection that you have available. You can send pictures, sound recordings or videos, too. You can even use WeChat as a walkie-talkie. WeChat uses your phone number to connect your account to your device. This way, you can quickly find the WeChat accounts of people that you already know the phone number of.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to download WeChat for PC and quickly get going.
IMPORTANT: Don’t use an existing account before reading this!
As WeChat uses your phone number to connect the online WeChat account to your device, you will need a separate phone number for your PC if you have already installed WeChat on your real smartphone. You will then have to buy a separate prepaid card to get a new phone number that your PC can use.
If you can’t or don’t want to use WeChat on your real phone, then you can of course use this phone number to get it installed on your PC.
WeChat For PC Download Step-By-Step Guide
- If you have already installed and configured BlueStacks correctly, just run BlueStacks and skip ahead to step 5.
- Download BlueStacks For PC.
- Install BlueStacks For Windows Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8.
- Configure your Google Account for BlueStacks.
- Click on ‘App Search‘.
- Enter ‘WeChat‘ in the search box and click on ‘Find‘.
- Look for the right app (it should say exactly ‘WeChat‘) and click on the ‘Install‘ button beside it.
- Click on the ‘WeChat‘ icon in the Android Market column (the one at the right). If it is not displayed, you might need to close this window and repeat from step 7.
- If you get a dialog that asks you whether you accept the Google Play TOS, just click the ‘Accept‘ button.
- The official app screen from the Google Play store will be shown, click the ‘INSTALL‘ button in the upper right corner.
- You will be shown the permissions that the WeChat ap needs to be able to run correctly, click on the ‘ACCEPT‘ button in the lower right corner.
- After that the installation procedure has finished, you can click on the ‘OPEN‘ button in the upper right corner to launch the WeChat app.
- You can then choose whether you want to add a shortcut to your home screen. You should probably click on the ‘OK‘ button.
- You’ll get to the start-up screen of the WeChat app. Click on the ‘Sign Up‘ button to continue.
- Now you can enter your phone number to get the confirmation SMS to verify this phone number.
IMPORTANT: As already mentioned above, if you’re already using WeChat on a real smartphone, don’t enter this same number here. If you do, the WeChat app on your real phone will stop working!
In this case you should buy a cheap prepaid card just to get a new phone number and use this card temporarily in your real phone to get the verification SMS.
- Confirm that you have entered the correct phone number by clicking on the ‘OK‘ button.
- Now you can enter the verification code that you received in an SMS to your real phone.
- When your phone number has been verified, you can enter the name you want to be seen as and add a profile picture.
- You need to scroll down a bit to see the field where you can enter your WeChat ID. Make sure that this is valid and click on the ‘Sign Up‘ button.
- You then get a dialog that allows you to find friends by looking at your contacts. You can use this if you already have contacts in your BlueStacks emulator, else you simply click on the ‘Skip‘ button.
- WeChat now shows you a gift box with a new feature. Click anywhere on this screen.
- WeChat reveals that the new feature is a sticker shop where you can buy new stickers you can send to your friends (paid feature). Again, click anywhere on this screen to continue.
- You’ll get a last screen that simply shows you the current WeChat version number. Click on the ‘Have Fun! >‘ button to get started.
- You’ve finally arrived at the main screen where you can start chatting with your friends!
Congratulations, you have now correctly installed WeChat on your desktop computer. Start chatting with your best buddies and have fun!